As parents, we’re always checking to see if our child is hitting their milestones on time. It’s natural to feel a little anxious if you see another child of the same age doing things your kid doesn’t do. In such cases, always remember that every child has a unique trajectory, and developmental milestones cannot be generalized for the whole population.
For example, some kids start walking when they’re 10 months old, while some don’t walk until they reach 18 months. Some start forming proper sentences before their first birthday, while some start saying simple words after their second birthday. Not hitting particular milestones isn’t always a cause for worry; however, you should keep an eye on the major ones to see if your child is falling behind.
Did your child just reach their first birthday? Congratulations! They’ve now been promoted from infancy to toddlerhood. As a parent, here are some milestones you should keep an eye on in the coming years.
Here are some important milestones that are generally observed in 18 months old:
- Better control over hand and arm and increased motor skills (such as holding a pencil, spoon, etc.)
- Most toddlers can walk independently and balance themselves properly at 18 months.
- At this age, your toddler will have a stronger emotional bond with you and other family members they see regularly.
- Your toddler will be more self-aware and become better at showing a wide range of emotions, such as anger, embarrassment, happiness, etc.
At 2 years old, your child should:
- Be ready for potty training.
- Start stringing words together to form small sentences.
- Do things more independently, such as eating on their own, drinking from a cup, turning pages, etc.
- Understand things better and become more perceptive.
Here are some common milestones your child should hit when they turn 3 years old:
- Have at least 20 teeth.
- Talk to people they’re comfortable with.
- Develop social skills and the ability to make friends.
- Sort colors and shapes and memorize simple rhymes.
- Become aware of their surroundings and more empathetic towards people around them.
At 4 years old, your child will probably be doing these things:
- Form full sentences and have complete conversations.
- Play independently for a long time.
- Remember names and other facts about important people.
- Learn to follow the rules and directions.
- Use swings and slides and ride tricycles.
Between 3-5 years, you should enroll your child in a reliable preschool to build an academic foundation and prepare them for elementary school. Going to a preschool in these formative years of their life will help them develop lifelong social skills and behavioral traits.
If you are looking for a reliable preschool in Katy or Fulshear, TX, Centerra Ranch Montessori School is your best choice. Our preschool and after-school instructors are well-reputed for providing the students with the attention they need to discover their inner genius and become self-sufficient.
We also offer transition classes which are ideal for young children looking to develop confidence and communication skills. Our quality daycare, infant care, and after-school care make us one of the best Montessori preschools in Katy, TX.
Reach out to us to find out more about our Montessori preschool.